Twelve-year-old Jillian Blairington is just an ordinary girl — bright, brave, and sometimes a bit too headstrong for her own good. She never thought she was particularly special or different than anybody else. She was wrong. Everything changes the day she and her babysitter, Danielle, are kidnapped and taken to a secret scientific facility. There Jillian learns she has a new name, Ashlynn, and a strange connection to the other children at the lab. They each have powerful abilities, Gifts that Jillian doesn’t quite understand. As if that wasn’t enough to absorb, Jillian discovers she has a Gift of her own — the power to enter other people’s dreams. Jillian’s task seems simple enough: the scientists want her to use her ability to find another Gifted child who has disappeared. But the longer Jillian stays in the facility, the more she realizes that nothing is as it seems … and everybody has secrets. Besides, the boy’s life is not the only one at stake. The scientists will stop at nothing to force Jillian’s cooperation, even if that means threatening Danielle. Jillian knows they have to get free. But after all they’ve seen, will they ever truly escape?
Once again, we are welcoming Julie Gilbert back. This time, she comes with her friend Jillian Blarington from Ashlynn’s Dreams. Welcome Jillian. Please, both of you, make yourselves comfortable.
Jillian, can you tell us a little about your name, and how you got it?
- Guess ya could say I’ve got two names. The one I mostly answer to is Jillian Marie Antel Blairington, but I’m also called Ashlynn’cause that’s what my Daddy Three named me. I’ve been keeping a rather long-winded journal thing for Dr. S., so I guess if you want the full story ya’d best start there.
In reading the short description of your story, I wondered how you saw yourself. Did I read properly that you have special gifts?
- I’m human. I have spent some time thinking on the matter of my Gifts and what they make me, and I think I agree with Nana and Nadia. The Gifts I have for shaping dreams matter less than what I choose to do with ’em. Everybody’s got gifts, even if they ain’t Gifts like mine or my siblings. Gifts are tools, powerful ones. They are capable of great good, but they can also bring about a whole heap of hurt and trouble if misused.
Does that trouble come from your enemies, or others you would like to see stopped?
- Most people would say that Dr. Devya and the scientists who made us are our enemies, but I just can’t see ’em like that. Like it or not, Dr. Devya will always be my Daddy Three. As Nadia so bluntly pointed out nobody gets to choose their parents. Dr. Devya’s certainly got his flaws and lousy methods of getting what he wants, but he’s got some good points too. My siblings and I have other enemies too, but not all of ’em have had the decency to show their faces to us yet. I just know they’re there.
Do you have any friends who help you when those enemies do show up?
- Danielle Matheson used to be my babysitter back when Momma was in the family way with Isaac. The friendly, somewhat formal relationship got busted good when Danielle and I got kidnapped. Now, I guess I’d count her as a close friend, maybe not as tight as I used to be to Jimmy Denson, but mighty close indeed. I ain’t lying or exaggerating when I say I think she’d step between me and a bullet. That can’t happen. I gotta do everything possible to keep Danielle out of harm’s way, but a lot of dangerous people know she means a lot to me. That’s very worrisome.
Do you have any family? Brothers and sisters, whom you feel you have to protect?
- That is what Nana would call a very simple question with a very complex answer. Just as I got two names, I sorta have two families too. Isaac Spencer Blairington is my new baby brother, but he ain’t my only brother by far if ya count the kids at Dr. Devya’s lab. Nadia says we’re all related and that’s about all the proof I need ’cause she got all the family smarts and then some. Far as I know, Varick’s the eldest of Devya’s children, as the scientist guys like to call us. His Gifts are all about soldiering. Nadia’s the next oldest, and her Gifts are all related to the mind. I’m next, and my Gift can best be defined as shaping dreams. Malia comes after me. She can shape people’s emotions. I’m not exactly sure what Gifts Dustin has, but I do know he’s a lot like Dr. Devya. Benny, Michio, and Aiden are all a lot younger than us. Benny’s Gift mirrors mine, but Michio and Aiden are learning to master miniature machines that let ’em heal diseases and build things, respectively.
That does sound like you’ve got quite a bit you have to watch out for and protect. Thank you so much Jillian for coming by today with Julie.
For anyone who would like to read more about Jillian (aka Ashlynn), you can find her story on amazon with the links below.
For those who have want to know more about Julie, you can find her through her blog, on Amazon, email (devyaschildren@gmail [dot] com), two Twitter accounts: @authorgilbert or @jilliananddeli, multiple Facebook accounts: Julie C. Gilbert, Ashlynn’s Dreams, Heartfelt Cases Series, and Pinterest “for book covers and other stuff”. You can also read her interview here if you missed it a few days ago.
You can also find her books through the links below:
Devya’s Children Links:
Heartfelt Cases Links:
Heartfelt Cases Books 1-3
If you would like me to hose a character interview for you, please stop by my offered services page, and send me a submission. I’d be honored to get to know your characters (and writing) a little while helping you spread word about your work.